“What do you want to be when you grow up?” is one of the worst questions you can ask a young adult. Career choices are not a yes or no answer, they are a process of discovery, exploration, and iteration.
Today’s working population is filled with talented individuals who feel trapped in careers that neither inspire them nor connect with their values. Why? As young adults:
- They didn’t have the opportunity to connect their strengths and interests to possible careers.
- They were led to decide on one career path and stick with it.
- They didn’t have an opportunity to explore a variety of options.
- There were not exposed to real-world options and opportunities.
The Career Storybook Solution:
Etched into the forecourt of the Greek Oracle at Delphi were the words “Know Thyself”. Before young adults can understand who they might become, they must first understand who they are.
- By knowing more about yourself, you will make better life decisions.
- By defining your goals for life, you will increase your satisfaction with your life.
Career Story Book (CSB) is a journaling project that helps students identify their individual talents and connect those talents to potential fields and rewarding careers. This is an eight-module program designed to help you develop a personal “business plan” for your life: your “Life Plan.” The objective is to discover what moves you, and identify your strengths – not what you want to major in or be when you grow up. Think of this as creating a requirements document, or a guide, for making decisions in your life.
The program is designed to:
- Guide students from inner discovery to external application as they discover individual strengths and values and use them as a foundation to develop their own career path
- Encourage students to embrace the freedom of developing their own unique career path.
- Provide an easy, methodical approach to exploring the wealth of career opportunities that exist today and the diversity within industry sectors.
Upon completion of the program, students will have a deeper understanding of their individual strengths and interests. They will move forward armed with a shortlist of career fields and a concrete plan to guide them as they pursue those careers.